lily is casually introduced to traditional witches.


Lily dropped on the armchair with casual comfort, in an elegant position that only came natural to elites like herself. She folded her sunglasses, rested one leg over the opposite knee, and stared ahead, as if the best moment of the day had arrived.

In front of her waited a colourfully-clad woman in her mid thirties, just like Lily, in what looked to be a hand-made patchwork jerkin, with grey curls cascading over herself and the table. There was something soulless about that woman, her eyes a decoloured burgundy, her expression caught between indifference and permanent dread. She rested her basic tea mug, full of something red and hot, that contrasted against the green harmony of the café, to let Lily know she was done watching.

 

“So, miss Lily. Why don’t you tell me about yourself?”

“Myself. I’m just a sister from the city, who wants to know more about the way of life of my sisters here in the countryside. Little is taught about your people where I’m from, and it’s not even far from here. You keep your secrets well.”

“There’s a reason for that. We don’t want to be disturbed nor corrupted by the ways of society. We don’t want to interact nor interfere. We’re on our own, need little, and do great things.”

 

She was lying. Lily knew it well.

 

“And is that way of life sufficient, sister? How do you live in England without electricity nor plumbing?”

 

Lily knew that they, in fact, used electricity and plumbing like anyone else, but said this on purpose to provoke her. The eerie woman barely reacted.

 

“Now you are just being ignorant. And why are you calling me a sister?”

 

Catch. Lily stretched her lips.

 

“Oh? But aren’t you a fellow Woman of the Factor? An Occultist? A Psionic?”

“We don’t use those names here.”

 

Again, that woman was not saying the entire truth. It was unnerving. Lily wondered how would it feel to punch her in the gut, to make her scream a bit. But it wouldn’t be necessary. The woman was starting to break to her bravado. It was time to press her buttons a little more.

 

“You didn’t answer my question. What do you go by, then? A witch? If you are not a sister, I am wasting my time talking to you. Are you a sister or not?”

 

The woman’s stare turned a bit more vivid.

 

“That’s rude. Of course I am, a traditional witch. But I am not your sister.”

 

Lily relaxed. She crossed her arms, and let herself sink deeper in the armchair.

 

“My maid, no need to be so aggressive. I was just playing, to provoke you.”

 

“Excuse me, miss. What will I get you?”

 

She turned her head quickly at the barista, who had appeared so quietly. It was just a young man. It wasn’t exactly professional of him to interrupt. Or was it?

 

“Can I have a bottle of water? I’m parched. And give me one of those ginger cookies. The big one.”

“The water, is it sparkling or still? Do you want ice?”

 

Lily was poised to grab the guy from those hipster ringlets in his head, and slam his face against the table. The nameplate on his apron read Maddie, in Comic Sans.

 

“Amusing,” she muttered darkly. “Still as the river. And Maddie, give me ice, why not. Take your time at it, eh? I almost lost my way in my argument here.”

 

The man agreed and retreated. He bowed a little even, to Lily’s hilarity. She turned to the so-called witch, who was getting busy at that red tea, until their eyes clicked again.

 

“That boy, Maddie.” She dropped the mug in exactly the same motion as before. “He deserves every tip.”

 

Lily sighed.

 

“I’ll be plain. I’m sorry to have pushed you, miss. I don’t have your name yet, by the way.”

“There’s no need. I’m just an intermediary here.”

“A shame. I thought I’d be leaving today with a new friend.”

 

Lily was dropping her words carefully. The trad witch wouldn’t like words like “sister” or “friend”. It was a shame, really, because Lily meant every single one in earnest. Or at least, in her own terms.

Swift as a morning email, the water, still with ice, and a finely packaged, plasticky cookie appeared in front of Lily. This time she turned at Maddie slowly, smiled, supressing the anger within, paid, and gave the boy an insane tip, all in cash.

 

“Thank you so much, madam! I will be close by in case you need anything else.”

 

Lily closed her purse with violence.

 

“Hardly.” She turned to her companion. “You know, miss? We should talk our business somewhere else.”

 

Maddie retreated, ever so silently. Lily made sure he was standing far enough. He wasn’t, for a fact.

 

“Why leave? I am very comfortable here.”

 

The conversation wasn’t going anywhere. Lily didn’t want to use violence. The next option would be a bribe. She took the water and gave it a good chug. Perhaps a bribe and another place to talk would be good.

Meanwhile, now with the upper hand, the trad witch was simply waiting, in her void stare.

 

“You know us, witches. We don’t want other people, illiterate in our ways, to barge in our conversations, right? I don’t know the point of meeting in a café. Can’t we go somewhere else? Clearly, you don’t welcome outsiders often.”

 

The trad witch shook her head.

 

“Haven’t you noticed, miss Lily? This an all-witch venue.”

 

Lily couldn’t do anything else but burst into laughter. Loudly. Despite her character, she had an extremely sweet laugh.

 

“All witches? Even the bartender?”

“Yes, I am.”

 

That was Maddie. It all made sense now. His cat-like approaches, his nosy interventions. He bowed at her, and took his time at it.

 

“Miss Lily. Would you like to accompany me?”

“Where?”

“To the glade. A representative of the cabal would like to speak with you. We would like to invite you formally.”

 

Lily nodded at her tea companion, and accompanied Maddie outside. She noticed he wasn’t leading her to the trad witches’ reservation, but to an alley. She shut her eyes and felt the presence of other human beings, many eyes on her.

 

“We would like to welcome you…but first, we have noticed, Lily, that you are armed, and wouldn’t like you to go haywire in presence of our esteemed elders. Therefore, please excuse us, miss. We need to tire you a bit.”

“You f*cking b*stards. Finally. I was looking forward to this.”

 

Lily stretched to stance, and flashed two feet of a blade.

Comments

1 3 7 11 27 9559y49gh